Monday, November 20, 2006

Act I, Scene 3 - Study Questions

  1. Do you think Shylock's refusal to have dinner with Antonio and Bassanio based on religious or societal grounds?
  2. When Shylock makes the following comments, what is his meaning?
    "If I can catch him once upon the hip,

    I will feed fat the ancient grudge I bear him."

  3. What is Antonio's meaning in the following passage?
    "Shylock, albeit I neither lend nor borrow

    By taking nor giving of excess..."

    Why is Antonio's position on lending money different from that of Shylock?

  4. As Antonio presses for Shylock's answer, Shylock reveals what he considers are some insults he has received from the hand of Antonio. What are they?

  5. What is Antonio's response to Shylock?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home